Wednesday 20 June 2012

Shimelle's Sketch of the Week - Transparency Challenge

If you are a regular reader, you will know I am a bit of a Shimelle Laine aka Glitter Girl fan. I love her blog and her challenges and her classes.... you get the idea. Earlier in the week she posted a sketch with the added twist of using a transparency. I had a couple sitting in my stash that I bought on a whim at a Studio Calico sale and really had no idea what to do with them. I dragged them out from the bottom of a box of supplies and decided to have a go.

The idea of the sketch is to complete two layouts that mirror each other using both sides of the transparency. I have a big pile of photos from three day trips we made to Sentosa so I decided to scrap a couple of those onto the transparency. I have realised I need to start a day trips album or something similar as I have made half a dozen layouts from the photos of those three days already so there are a few too many to add to my annual album. I love the idea of these add on albums from Shimelle's Cover to Cover class - it has totally revolutionised the way I organise my layouts. It has also meant I have ordered one or two or six albums to improve the flow... oh well it is only money!


I will start by apologising for the photos. I tried about half a dozen ways of photographing the transparencies including hanging them on a clothes line and even a window but the reflections were shocking. I placed white paper under the transparency in an attempt to minimise this issue but they are still there. 

This photo was from a trip to Port of Lost Wonder, a water play park on Sentosa. On the day we went the main pirate ship was out of action so we could only play on the beach or in a foam pool. It turns out that there had been an outbreak of giardia in the previous couple of days traced back to the pirate ship so I am glad we did not go on it! This photo is of Scarlett and her best buddy, Joshua, as they approach the entrance. 

The supplies are a real mixture. The transparency is an old Hambly one. The card stock is a swiss dot style but beyond that I don't know. The papers are from the Studio Calico 35 mm kit and the Lomography add on as are the little gems. I also added some SC veneer people and a doily. The lettering comes from the So Cal add on Santa Monica as does the twine. 


The other side is a picture of Scarlett in the foam pool. I chose this transparency rather than the other chicken wire one I had as I thought the circles could be like bubbles in the foam. The colourful lettering, cloud and girl icons are all from Simple Stories. The ticket and banner are Amy Tangerine and the lettering and patterned paper strip are from the Lomography add on.

It was fun to work with the transparency but I was a bit safe in keeping all my embellishments below the transparency. I intend to use the other sheet in the next few weeks and try and get more embellishment matching going on.


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, these layouts turned out great! Impressed that you tried the double sided thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the transparency. Cute layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you combined all the SC kits into these layouts! And I need to learn how to use transparencies too. I bought a bunch of Hambly after finding out they're going out of business, but I haven't used any yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a wonderful layout. LOVE the transparency idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the combine kits too! I want a foam pool party for my 31st this September!

    ReplyDelete